PROBLEMS WITH BED BUGS
Suddenly itchy skin, itchy and really itchy rashes, small blood stains on your sheets and pillow, lack of sleep and night terrors due to small invaders?
If you are suffering from these problems and are looking for urgent help, we are your solution! As AKL Exterminator, we are the best bed bug and other pest control company!
AKL EXTERMINATOR, YOUR DEFENDER AGAINST BEDBUGS
One of the most harmful and annoying insects that can threaten the health of you and your loved ones are bed bugs. These tiny invading insects, while not known to transmit disease, can cause serious skin problems and dangerous allergic reactions.
These blood-sucking vermin make their nests on your property without you even realizing it! They can come from outside in your luggage or clothing. Plus, they spread very quickly and can easily infest your beds, pillows and sheets – your sacred sleeping spaces are being violated!
The ability of these pests to infiltrate, even if you have everything clean and spotless, is extraordinary, and in a few days you will be giving your blood to these pernicious insects!
Their bites can make your life miserable during the day, and at night they will take advantage of you without you even noticing, and you will wake up with red spots and alarming irritation – scary, isn’t it! That’s why you need to visit an exterminator immediately and take serious action.
If you have such bites and you are already confronted with this annoying pest, do not hesitate to hire us! At AKL Exterminator, we have the experience, the best equipment, the most effective products and the most qualified exterminators in Quebec to eradicate any bed bug infestation.
And if you want to know more about these pests, you’ve come to the right place! Let’s see everything you need to know about bed bug behavior, habits, infestation patterns and bed bug control measures.
At AKL Exterminator, our priority is to control all insects and rodents to bring you and your loved ones wellness and peace of mind!
BED BUG FACT SHEET
The bed bug is a small, oval, flattened insect, dark brown in color and 4 to 8 mm (about the size of an apple seed). These pests have elongated beaks to pierce the skin.
Females are smaller and rounder, while males are more elongated. Although they have no wings, they can move quickly across floors, walls and roofs and hide easily among objects.
WHAT DO BED BUGS EAT?
The main source of food for these parasites is the blood of mammals, especially humans. Their bodies swell and turn reddish when they consume it. They usually feed at night, piercing the skin and then sucking out the blood while their hosts sleep.
LIFE CYCLE AND REPRODUCTION OF BED BUGS
Bed bugs are persistent insects and have a lifespan of 6 to 12 months. They can even survive 70 days without feeding! They are very hardy pests. These pests develop in three stages: as eggs, nymphs and adults. They can reach maturity in one month.
Unfortunately, females are egg factories. They can lay 3 to 8 eggs per day, which means they can lay about 500 eggs per year! Their young hatch within a day and immediately feed on blood.
These insects are constantly shedding their skin. And while they don’t form niches like cockroaches or ants, they sometimes tend to congregate in crevices or nooks and crannies near your rooms for easy access to their food: you.
WHERE CAN BED BUGS BE FOUND?
Because of their small size and flattened body, these pests can settle anywhere. They can easily infiltrate your home by attaching themselves to your clothes, luggage or other objects. They can hide in any nook and cranny, but they usually prefer to nest near their hosts.
That’s why it’s common to find them near your sheets, mattresses, pillows, rugs, furniture and piles of clothes. They can also hide in cracks and crevices in walls and surfaces – clever, isn’t it!
It’s also worth noting that cleaning has little to do with a bed bug infestation. Your property may be spotless and sparkling, but if a bed bug has made its way into your belongings, there’s no stopping it. Even the most immaculate building can have bed bug problems.
HOW TO DETECT BED BUGS?
- THE SIGNS OF A BEDBUG INFESTATION ARE MAINLY ON YOUR BODY. YOU WILL EXPERIENCE A NUMBER OF SYMPTOMS SUCH AS:
- BITE MARKS OR NICKS ON THE SKIN WITH NO APPARENT EXPLANATION
- REDNESS, RASHES AND BURNING SENSATIONS.SPOTS OR BLOTCHY PATTERNS.
- REDDISH BUMPS WITH A DARK CENTER AND A LIGHTER SURROUNDING AREA.
Other signs of infestation are small dried blood spots on your pillows or sheets (from biting). You may also find molted nymph skins or dead bed bug carcasses. Also, when nests are nearby, you may smell a sweet musty odor.
Since these pests avoid light and feed at night, it is very difficult to notice them during the day unless the infestation is very out of control. In any case, you should pay close attention to these signs and contact the professionals as soon as possible.
HOW TO ERADICATE A BED BUG INFESTATION?
- BED BUGS CAN BE FOUGHT BY DIFFERENT METHODS, BUT THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO CALL IN PROFESSIONALS LIKE US WHEN THE INFESTATION IS VERY SERIOUS. THAT’S WHY, AS AN AKL EXTERMINATOR, WE GIVE YOU HERE SOME COMBATIVE MEASURES AND VERY USEFUL RECOMMENDATIONS TO STOP THESE PESTS.
- THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS TO CLEAN ALL POTENTIAL SOURCES OF BED BUGS, FROM YOUR SHEETS, PILLOWS, CURTAINS AND OTHER OBJECTS. YOU CAN ALSO WASH YOUR CLOTHES IN HOT WATER AND WRING THEM OUT SEVERAL TIMES. VACUUM ROOMS AND SURROUNDING AREAS FREQUENTLY. PLACE
- IMMEDIATELY PLACE A BAG TO CONTAIN THE BED BUGS AND THEIR EGGS. YOU CAN ALSO USE TOOTHED BRUSHES ON ROUGH SURFACES.
- COVER MATTRESSES AND BOX SPRINGS WITH MATTRESS COVERS TO PREVENT BED BUGS FROM BREEDING IN THESE AREAS
- APPLY PESTICIDES TO AREAS AND CORNERS WHERE BED BUGS MAY HIDE YOU CAN ALSO PLACE INTERCEPTORS, BLANKETS AND TRAPS TO TRAP BED BUGS
- FILL IN ALL CRACKS AND CREVICES TO PREVENT BEDBUG NESTS FROM FORMING.
- WHEN LEAVING YOUR HOME OR MOVING TO ANOTHER PROPERTY, BE SURE TO CHECK EACH NEW ITEM BROUGHT INTO YOUR HOME THOROUGHLY BEFORE ENTERING, AS THERE MAY BE HIDDEN BED BUGS.